Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Fear and Loathing on You Tube

Today, a dear friend and someone I have an immense amount of respect for, was suspended from You Tube. Tannhaus' videos inspired me. While I tend to be a hot head, overly emotional or cold as ice, Tannhaus has been a voice of wisdom and reason when I could not be.

My emotions are running high right now. I feel like there is a current of energy flowing through me charged with all these different emotions that want to turn into actions. Unfilled potential ready to charge.

When Tannhaus first told me, I was shocked. I thought there had to be some mistake and surely You Tube would correct it. But then I remembered all the other friends You Tube had cast away so easily as if they were scraps of paper being swept off a floor.

This made me sad. I felt bad for Tannhaus, who put so much effort into his videos and his ministry. I knew he took his videos just as seriously, if not more seriously than I. He did not deserve this. He deserved respect.

This made me angry. I started to think about Nathan and all the Christians I've known in my lifetime who treat us like dirt. They hide behind their religion to justify their hatred and bigoted actions. As if a Bronze Age book in any logical society should hold weight over human compassion. But it does.

A few days ago I watched the documentary The Times of Harvey Milk. In this documentary, a man of honor and character was ripped from the people who depended on him by an angry man. An angry man who used the "Twinkie Defense" to justify his hatred by exploiting his religious beliefs.

I think it's despicable that someone would justify the denigration of another person, or group of people by using their religious beliefs. These are the people who cause genecide. These are the people who will destroy all that there is.

Forgetting my contempt for Christianity and it's tolerance of intolerance for a minute, I feel that regardless of religion, there are people who feel superior to others. The religion they use, regardless of which it is, is simply a tool they use to inflict hatred on others.

I am still dwelling in anger at the injustice of it all. But I also feel fear. I fear that I will be next. If they can remove Tannhaus, there's not much to stop them from removing me as well.

All these emotions are causing me to act. Act on my fears and anger. But I will not lash out irrationally. I will do what I should have done a long time ago. I will beseach the Gods. Want to join me?

3 comments:

wikedwitch80 said...

I think it's really messed up about what's happened to Tannhaus or however you spell it. I really admire him as well. I wonder if all of the pagans on youtube left if that would make them take notice, but I doubt it. Not to mention, we would probably be making those that started this really happy, doing exactly what they want. Leaving. Damn people.

Anonymous said...

I wish I knew what to say to make you feel better.
It's good to see you blogging again. Blogs are great. Perhaps you could put what you have to say up here- there is no fear of reprocussion. (sp?)
I love your youtube videos. You're a great teacher and advocate and I hope you continue. I'm not a wiccan, btw, I am more of a universalist. I don't know what I am.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.